BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, February 25, 2013

"The Menstruating Mall" by Carlton Mellick III



Synopsis - (from goodreads.com)

Ten ridiculously stereotypical consumer victims (a yuppie, a housewife, a retiree, a jock, a bible thumper, a cowboy, a preppy, a gamer, a goth, and a white suburban gangsta) find themselves unable to leave the mall one day. There is nothing stopping them. The doors are unlocked. Other shoppers are able to come and go as they please. But for some inexplicable reason, these ten people cannot pry themselves away from their shopping miasma. The mall closes, and they won't leave. Days pass, and they're still there, eating meals in the food court and sleeping in department store bedroom displays. Then they begin to die off, one by one, murdered by a mysterious killer, and they still won't allow themselves to escape.

~~~~~~~~~~

Rating - 2 out of 5

Genre - Horror, Comedy (Sci-Fi)

~~~~~~~~~~

What did I think? That is a good question. I am not entirely sure how I feel about this book. I understand Mellick's prose, but this story just did not do it for me. As some reviews I have read compared it to the "Breakfast Club", well, yes it is true with a horror twist. I was pretty much bored with the story after a few pages. The ending simply made my eyes roll so far back I almost saw an alternate universe looming around. Suffice it to say I may or may not give Mellick another try. I did enjoy The Cannibals of Candyland. I shall see how I feel in a few months.

As for recommending this book to anyone, well, if you like The Breakfast Club and are willing to sit through a bunch of whiny people trying to figure out how to leave a mall, then read it. It bored me to tears and did not see much horror in it as I would have liked. I really hesitated to call it "horror" under the genre, but that is what they classify it as.

No comments:

Post a Comment